Sustainable Development of Sugarcane
1. SCHEME CODE : MP-A-03
2. PROGRAMME NAME : Sustainable Development of Sugarcane
3. OBJECT OF PROGRAMME : To increase Area, Production and Productivity of Sugarcane.
4. PRESENT STATUS : Area, Production and Productivity of sugarcane is as under(Prediction):
1. 6. ANALYSIS OF LAST THREE YEARS:
Rs. in lakh
* Upto Deceber 2002
6. AREA OF OPERATION :
The programme will be implemented in 28 sugarcane growing districts of Madhya Pradesh as detailed under :-
7. MAJOR CONSTRAINTS :
(i) Unavailability of improved sugarcane varieties.
(ii) Lack of awareness of improved methods of sugarcane cultivation
(iii) Lack of suitable implements for sugarcane cultivation.
(iv) Lack of timely adoption of Agronomical practices
(v) Imbalanced use of nutrients.
8. INTERVENTIONS :
1. Financial support for seed production and distribution.
2. Popularisation of Tissue culture planting materia/Poly bag planting matarialsl.
3. Propagation of Inter-cropping.
4. Introduction of suitable farm implements, i.e., Sugarcane,Cutter Planter, Rotavator, Power Tiller, Stubble saver, Ridger etc.
5. Training support.
6. To popularise the use of biological control for insects , pests and diseases
9. PROPOSED PROGRAMME COMPONENTS :
10. JUSTIFICATIONS :
1. A major programme for production and multiplication of quality seed ensuring their availability to the farmers shall be under-taken.
2. Planting material produced through Tissue culture shall be popularised among farmers.on the same time low cost poly bag planting matarials shall also be popularised
3. In sugarcane use of culture in the form of PSB, Azatobactor and Azosprillium are widely accepted because the use of these cultures promote the fertility of soil and availability of Nitrogen naturally.
4. Skill of farmers and Extension workers needs improvement through continuous training and their visit to other areas where advance technology are being adopted.
5. Sugarcane is a perennial crop which is affected by so many diseases and pests IPM is a major component which is to be included in the programme. Looking to its importance to maintain eco-balance and for economical control of pests and diseases, the cultivators are to be given incentives to use hand & power operated Plant Protection equipment, Plant protection chemicals and seed treating material.
6. The sugarcane growing cultivators can be benefited economically by taking inter-crops, therefore inter-cropping is to be promoted.
7. Besides the use of balanced fertilizers in soil it is also essential to use Micro-nutrients in standing crop as and when required to maintain soil and crop health.
8. Pyrilla is main insect-pest of sugarcane crop. To control this insect-pest Apricania and Tricogamma is found most suitable.
11 OUTLAY PROPOSED CONTRIBUTION OF GOI & STATE GOVT.
PROPOSED PROGRAMME COMPONENTS
(Sustainable Development of Sugarcane)
Physical Targets & Financial Requirements 2003-04
Rs. in Lakh