National Watershed Development Programme For Rainfed Areas (NWDPR Extension Program)
1. SCHEME: MP-A-06
2. PROGRAMME NAME:
National Watershed Development Programme For Rainfed Areas (NWDPRA)
3. OBJECT OF PROGRAMME:
National Watershed Development Project for Rainfed areas is sponsored by Govt. of India. It was started in Madhya Pradesh during VIIIth Five- Year Plan in the Year 1990-91 in 385 blocks having less than 30% assured irrigated area. The total area of 385 selected Watersheds was 852753 ha. An area of 660202 ha. was treated against the total treatable area of 749641 ha. with an expenditure of Rs.129.42 crores.
The project carries following objectives :Insitu moisture conservation and use of natural resources i.e. land water and vegetation .Scientific management of land and water.Enhancement of production and productivity in rainfed areas.To train and to motivate the farmers for enhancing the productivity through the schemes of concerned departments.Promotion of Agriculture / Cottage Industries.Employment generation during and after the project.To ensure the peoples participation in project activities.
4. PRESENT STATUS:
The scheme is continued during IXth Five- year Plan and 280 new watersheds have been selected in the blocks . The details of the selected watersheds are as under:-.
1. Total geographical area 13.93 lakh ha.
2.Arable land 8.40 lakh ha.
3.Non arable land 2.92 lakh ha.
4.Treatable area 10.97 lakh ha.
5. Area treated so far 3.23 Lakh ha.
5. ANALYSIS FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS :
Rs. in Lakh
* upto Dec. 2002
6. AREA OF OPERATIONS:
43 Districts of Madhya Pradesh covering 280 development blocks.
7. MAJOR AREAS OF CONCERN:Management of natural resources. Conservation of Land, water and vegetation. Enhancement of production and productivity in rainfed areas. Promotion of Agriculture / Rural Industries. Employment Generation. Improvement in Socio-economic condition of watershed population. Promotion of animal husbandry.
8. INTERVENTIONS:Introduction of watershed management programmes .Adoption of soil and water conservation measures. Introduction of recommended production technologies in conjunction with soil and water conservation activities. Introduction of Rural / Agricultural Industries. Labour oriented development activities for employment generation. Enhancement of per capita income through better agricultural production, employment generation by creation of Rural / Agricultural Industries and project activities. Empowerment of women will encourage their participation in decision making at every front. Community organisations would encourage brotherhood amongst the villagers. Introduction of improved animal breeds, castration of scrub bulls, animal health care and improved fodder.
9. PROPOSED PROGRAMME COMPONENTS :
10. JUSTIFICATION :
For achieving the desired objectives of different activities
11 OUTLAY PROPOSED CONTRIBUTION OF GOI & STATE GOVT.
Physical Targets & Financial Requirements 2002-03
Rs. in Lakh