ICAR-National Institute of Research on Jute and Allied Fibre Technology
ICAR-National Institute of Research on Jute and Allied Fibre Technology is a premier institute under Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi and dedicated to the cause of jute and allied fibres leading to the diversified use and industrial growth.
In 1936, the government of India, on recommendation of the Royal Commission on Agriculture, constituted the Indian central jute committee. In the same year the committee took necessary steps to set up Jute Technological Research Laboratories (JTRL) in Calcutta. A beginning was made in May 1938, when a small nucleus research staff of the laboratory commenced work at the Alipore Test House. JTRL was officially opened on 3rd January 1939, by the Viceroy and Governor General of India, Lord Linlithgow. Mr. C. R. Nodder was appointed the first Director of the institute. With the expansion of activities of the institute, the administrative control of the institute was centralized and went over to the Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi in 1965. During the long period of seven decades, the institute has flourished with multifarious disciplines and carved a niche as a center of excellence on research of Jute and Allied Fibre Technology catering to entrepreneurs and industry
12, Regent Park, Kolkata - 700040. West Bengal, India.