Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums
Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums (IINRG) (formerly Indian Lac Research Institute (ILRI)) is a nodal Institute at national level for research and development on all aspects of lac and other natural gums & resins (excluding production) such as harvesting/ tapping, processing, product development, training, information repository, technology dissemination and national/international cooperation.
Realizing the strategic importance of lac, the then Imperial Govt. of India constituted the Lindsay- Harlow Committee in 1920, to look into all aspects of the country's lac trade and its development. On the suggestions of this Committee, lac merchants organized themselves into the Indian Lac Association for Research, under the aegis of which, the foundation stone of Indian Lac Research Institute (ILRI) was laid at Ranchi on September 20,1924.
Subsequently, on the recommendation of the Royal Commission on Agriculture, the Indian Lac Cess Committee (ILCC) was constituted, which took over the reigns of the ILRI on August 1, 1931.The ILCC also organized and maintained the London Shellac Research Bureau, UK and Shellac Research Bureau and Polytechnique Institute of Brooklyn, USA.
As a result of reorganization of agricultural research and education in the country, the ICAR took over the administrative control of the ILRI from April 1, 1966. This is one of the oldest Institutes within ICAR, having completed 84 years of fruitful service to the nation.
The institute mandate has been expanded in the year 2007 to look after important issues related to all natural resins & gums of Indian origin. Accordingly ILRI has been renamed as Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums (IINRG). The Institute is known by this name since Sept.20, 2007.