ICAR-Central Avian Research Institute, Izatnagar
Way back in 1930s, the role of poultry in uplifting rural economy and alleviation of malnutrition was recognized and on the recommendations of Royal Commission on Agriculture (1927), a separate Poultry Research Section at the Imperial (now Indian) Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), Izatnagar (UP), Bareilly was created on March 11, 1939, which was later on upgraded to Poultry Research Division (PRD) in the mid 50s and continued to play a significant role in growth and development of the Indian Poultry sector under the valiants like Mr. MacDonald (1939-1947), Dr. S.C. Iyer (1949-1955), Dr. S. Bose (1958-1968), Dr. B. Panda (1969-1979) and others thereafter. The PRD made remarkable progress during 70’s and became the biggest poultry research unit in India. During 1971, an All India Coordinated Research Project (AICRP) on Poultry Breeding was initiated in this Division with its 14 centres in different parts of the country. Later, it drew the attention of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and a Center of Excellence in Poultry Science was established in the Division to train people needed for research and development in poultry sector in the country. Realizing the significance of avian research in the country and in order to provide all round support to the progress of poultry production in India, the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) merged the PRD and the AICRP on poultry breeding and established the Central Avian Research Institute (CARI) at Izatnagar on the 2nd November 1979 which over the years has emerged as the premier Institute of poultry research in the Country. Presently, its main campus is located in the heart of the North Indo-Gangetic Plains between latitude 28 degree and longitude 78-79 degrees in the Campus of IVRI, Izatnagar, Bareilly (U.P.), which is about 250 km South-East of New Delhi. Spread over an area of 54 acres, the institute has an administrative building, conference hall, museum, library, four blocks accommodating the laboratories of various disciplines, eight experimental farms, a hatchery, a feed processing unit, a semi-automatic poultry processing-cum-rendering unit, and trainees’ hostel-cum guest house, etc. A Regional Centre of the institute at Cuttack (Odisha) was established on 26th July, 1992 and was subsequently shifted to Bhubaneswar during October, 1998.
The institute envisions enhancing the productivity and profitability of diversified poultry species for sustainable poultry farming for household income and nutritional security, and employment generation in the country. Towards its attainment, the institute is implementing its R&D agenda with a mission to develop and popularize appropriate poultry production and processing technologies in respect of diversified avian species for additional employment generation oppurtunities, enhanced profitability and to provide the necessary research, education, training and technology transfer support in all areas of Poultry Science. The institute has been reorienting and updating its research and development (R&D) agenda to address the present problems and future demands / expectations of the poultry sector. Besides undertaking research in different disciplines of Poultry Science, the institute offers Post-Graduate education leading to National Diploma in Poultry Husbandry (NDPH), Master’s (M.V.Sc.) and Doctoral (Ph.D.) degrees in collaboration with the IVRI Deemed University, Izatnagar.