What to do?
• Safeguard yourself financially against non-preventable natural risks like natural disasters/calamity, insect, pests & diseases, and adverse weather conditions.
• Take benefit of appropriate crop insurance scheme applicable in your area. Four insurance schemes are being implemented namely, National Agricultural Insurance Scheme (25 States/2UTs), Modified National Agricultural Insurance Scheme (50 districts in 21 States), Weather Based Crop Insurance Scheme (21 States) and Coconut Palm Insurance Scheme (8 States).
• Insurance coverage under NAIS/MNAIS/WBCIS is compulsorily, if you avail crop loan for notified crops. Coverage is voluntary for non-loanee farmers. Contact nearest branch of bank/insurance company for availing the benefits under the Crop Insurance Scheme.
Coconut Palm Insurance Scheme
• Insurance protection for Coconut Palm growers.
• Premium rate per palm ranges from ₹ 4.25 (in the age group of 4 to 15 years) to ₹ 4.69 (in the age group of 16 to 60 years).
• 50- 75% subsidy of premium is provided to all type farmers.
• When the Palm crops damaged, the indemnity payment equal to in-put cost loss/damage is payable to all insured farmers in notified areas.
National Agricultural Insurance Scheme (NAIS)
• Insurance protection for notified food crops, oilseeds and annual horticultural/commercial crops
• Premium rate of 1.5 to 3.5 percent for cereals & oilseeds crops and actuarial premium rate for annual Commercial/ horticultural crops are charged. (Kharif: 2.5% for cereals, millets & pulses & 3.5% for bajra & Oilseeds, Rabi: 1.5% for wheat & 2 % for cereals, millets pulses & oilseeds)
• 10 % subsidy on premium are provided to Small & Marginal farmers
• When the crop yield is less than the guaranteed yield of notified crops, the indemnity payment equal to shortfall in yield is payable to all insured farmers.demnity payment equal to shortfall in yield is payable to all insured farmers.
Pilot Weather Based Crop Insurance Scheme (WBCIS)
• Insurance protection for notified food crops, oilseeds and horticultural/commercial crops
•Actuarial Premium rate for notified crops, subject to maximum premium upto 12%, are charged• 25-50% subsidy on premium rate is provided to all types of farmers (to make the actual payable premium at par with NAIS).
• When the Weather indices ( rainfall/temp/relative humidity/wind speed etc) are differ (less/higher) from the Guaranteed weather index of notified crops, the indemnity payment equal to deviation/shortfall is payable to all insured farmers of notified crops.