- Land should be free of volunteer plants.
- The previous crop should not be the same variety or other varieties of the same crop.
- It can be the same variety if it is certified as per the procedures of certification agency
- For certified seed production leave a distance of 100 m all around the field from the same and other varieties of redgram
- Soak the seeds for 3 h in 100 ppm ZnSO4, (10g/100 lit of water) at 1/3 volume before sowing and quickly air dry in shade to their original moisture content.
- Slurry treat the seeds with carbendazim 75% WP @ 2 g dissolved in 5 ml of water per kg of seeds and air-dried
- Pellet the seeds with Rhizobium culture (50 g kg-1 of seed) before sowing
Pre-sowing seed treatment
- At the time of first appearance of flowering, spray 2% DAP and a second spray is given 15 days after the first spray.
- At first flowering, spray NAA 40 ppm and after a fortnight the second spray is given.
- NAA can be mixed with fungicide and insecticide
- The pods attained physiological maturation at 40 days after 50% flowering.
- Harvest the pods as one or two pickings for harvesting the quality seeds.
- Dry the pods immediately to about 12 to 13 per cent moisture content.
- Dry the seeds to 10 % moisture content
- Size grade the seeds using wire mesh sieve BSS 5 x 5 (width of square aperture 3.35 mm) for large seeded varieties and BSS 6 x 6 (2.8 mm) for small seeded varieties.
- Do not select the discoloured and broken seeds for seed purpose
- Slurry treat the seeds with carbendazim @ 2g using 5 ml of water kg-1 of seed (or)
- Dress the seeds are dry with halogen mixture (Pure CaOCl2 + CaCO3 + arappu(Albizzia amara ) leaf powder at (5:4:1) ratio) @ 3g/kg of seed (or)
- Treat the seeds with neem oil/ groundnut oil or leaf powder of tobacco/ notchi/ neem/ Albizzia amara (arappu) or fruit rind powder of Sapindus laurifolius (Poochi kottai) or Acacia concinna (Soapnut powder) @ 1:100 ratio.
- Store the seeds in gunny or cloth bags for short term storage (8-9 months) with seed moisture content of 8-9 %.
- Store the seeds in polylined gunny bag for medium term storage (12- 15 months) with seed moisture content of 8 – 9 %.
- Store the seeds in 700 gauge polythene bag for long term storage (more than15 months) with seed moisture content of less than 8%
The Professor and Head,
Department of Seed Science & Technology,