Mulching is covering the soil around the plant with plastics film, straw, grass, hay, dry leaves, stones etc which prevents the loss of moisture and acts as a barrier between the soil and atmosphere. It helps in moderating the soil temperature & micro-climate in the plant root zone, which helps to increase yield and early maturity of crops.
There are coloured plastics mulch films, which determine its energy radiating behavior and also influences the micro climate around the plant.
Provides favourable soil moisture for development of roots and plants.
- Prevents weed growth.
- Provides ideal environment for earthworms and other soil micro-organisms beneficial for crops.
- Improves soil micro climate.
- Conserves water.
- Effective in dry land farming.
- Increases crop yield & keeps the crop clean.
- Improves quality of produce.
- Prevents soil erosion &run off.
- Reduces soil compaction due to heavy rains.
|Crops||Recommended (%) coverage|
|Initial stage of orchard crops||30-50|
|Fruits crops & cucurbitaceous family||40-60|
|Papaya, pine apple and vegetable||70-80|
|Thickness in films||Wt. Per unit||Coverage area per|
kg of film (sq.m.)
|Type of Crops|
|Microns||Gauge||mm||Grams / sq. m.|
|7||28||0.007||5||153||Short duration crops (3 to 4 months)|
crops (up to 1 year)
|100||400||0.1||93||11||Long duration crops|
( more than one year)
Type of Plastics Mulch Films