Greenhouse is a framed structure covered with glass or plastics film (transparent and translucent) in which plants are grown under the partially or fully controlled environment. The greenhouse technology has been considerable importance in better space utilization, growing crops in extreme climatic conditions and high rainfall areas. The plastics film used in greenhouse act as selective radiation filters. The solar radiations pass through it and trap the thermal energy inside the greenhouse, which is emitted by the objects that are kept inside, this phenomena is known as "greenhouse effect".
- Moderates temperature and humidity.
- Increases yield, quality and reduces crop duration.
- Conserve moisture thus needs less irrigation.
- Cultivation of off-season crops possible.
- Helps to grow crops in different climatic conditions.
- Helps to grow high value crops for export market.
- Helps in raising early nurseries for different crops.
- Helps in hardening of tissue cultured plants & grafts.
- Helps to control pests and diseases.
- Manipulation of microclimate and insect proof feature helps in plant breeding, production of new varieties of seeds.
- Creates self-employment opportunities for educated youth.
Types of Greenhouse
- Naturally Ventilated Greenhouse.
- Greenhouse with Fan and Pad Cooling System.
- Hi-tech Greenhouse.
- Bamboo / Wooden structure Greenhouse.
Crops Grown Under Greenhouse
|Vegetable :||Tomato, Capsicum, Coloured Capsicum,|
Cauliflower, Cabbage, Okra, Bitter Gourd, Onion,
Coriander, Spinach, Chilli, Radish etc.
|Fruits:||Strawberry, Papaya etc.|
|Flowers :||Chrysanthemum, Carnation, Gerbera, Rose,|
Marigold, Llium, Orchid, Gladiolus etc.