General Information :
- It is a small deciduous tree.
- The bark is reddish-brown.
- Its leaves are digitate, dark green in color.
- The fruit is a succulent drupe purple to black in color.
- It grows throughout India.
- Light demander and Drought tolerant
Natural Regeneration :
- Naturally propagated by seed.
- Propagated by cuttings and seedlings
- Seeds are collected from June to August.
- Fresh Fruits on collection should be depulped and shade dried.
- Seed has less viability.
- No seed treatment is required.
- Seeds are directly dibbled into polybags with soil, sand and FYM.
- Fresh seeds should be graded and large size seeds are sown in polybags at the rate of two seeds per bag.
- Two leaf stage seedlings are transplanted into polybags.
- Planting is done at the onset of monsoon.
- The land is prepared by loosening the soil through ploughing
- Pit size 30 cm3 and Spacing 3 x 2 m, 3x 3 m
- Weeding and soil working is carried out as and when required.
Yields of about 0.3 tonnes/hectare of air-dry fuel wood can be obtained when planted on contours 5 metres apartMajor uses :
- Roots and leaves used in eczema, ringworm and other skin diseases, liver disorders, spleen enlargement, rheumatic pain, gout, abscess, backache; seeds used as vermicide.