General Information :
- It is medium - sized to a large Evergreen tree
- Leaves dark green with greenish white colored flowers.
- Fruits are follicular with numerous seeds.
- It is found throughout the moist regions of India.
- It is common in west coast forests.
Habitat : It common Tropical semi-evergreen and Deciduous forest.
Soil : Red soil and black soil are best, tolerates clayey soil.
Altitude :Up to 900 m (MSL)
Rainfall :700-1500 mm
Temperature : 34°C to 46°C
Terrain : Plain/hilly
Tree Characteristics :
- It is a moderate shade bearer.
- Prefers moist soil and coppice freely.
Habit : Deciduous Tree
Natural Regeneration :
- It regenerates itself naturally under favorable conditions.
- It can be easily propagated by direct sowing, and nursery raised seedlings.
Seed collection and Storage
- The fruits are collected from April to June
- Pods are dried in the sun for a day or two to hasten opening.
- Seeds can be stored in sacks until May.
- A kg of fruit produces about 20 gm of clean seeds.
- No pre- treatment is necessary
- The seeds are sown broadcast in the shaded sunken beds with good porous soil.
- Sowing done in April- May .
- About 35gm of clean seed is required per square meter of nursery bed.
- Seeds are mixed with fine powered earth before sowing.
- The beds are regularly weeded and watered
- Small seedlings about 7.5 cm in height are suitable for transplanting into nursery bags.
Plantation technique :
- The land is prepared by loosening the soil through ploughing and is made porous.
- Weathering of dug out soil for about one to two months is essential.
- Pit size 45 x 45 x 45 cm
- Spacing 5m x 5m or 5m x 6m can be adopted.
Care & Disease Control :
· Weeding and soil working are required in the first two years. · Deep mulching for young trees should be ensured.
- Pit irrigation is required in summer season at weekly intervals when planted without intercrop.
- In case of intercropping, flood method of irrigation is beneficial.
- Light irrigation at an interval of 15–20 days in winter season.
Recommended Harvest :
- 6 – 8 year for fuel wood
- Approximately 120-130 tons/ ha*
*Subject to varry according to site factors.
Agro Forestory :
- Annual herbs of medicinal value can be grown as intercrops – Curcuma longa (turmeric), Curcuma angustifolia (tikhur), and Alpinia galanga (kulinjan).
Major uses :
- Wood is mostly used for packing cases.
- It is also used for making furniture, black boards.
- It can be peeled easily and accepted as III class commercial plywood after necessary treatment.
- It is good manufacturing both matches and splints, and fairly suitable for second grade pencil
Market details :
- Approximately Rs.2500 to Rs.3000/ton*
*Subject to change according to market demands