General Information :
- Cinnamomum verum is an evergreen tree.
- In an unharvested state, the trunk is stout, 30-60 cm in diameter, with a thick, grey bark.
- The young leaves of the flush are reddish, later turning dark green in color. Flowers very small, pale yellow, with a foetid smell.
- Fruit a fleshy ovoid drupe, black, when ripe.
- Cinnamon is a native of Sri Lanka and is cultivated in lower elevations of Western Ghats in Kerala and Tamil Nadu
- grows mostly in hilly areas.
Natural Regeneration :
- Propagated by seed.
- Propagated by seedlings, cuttings,Air layering.
- The berries are collected in the month of May-June.
- The collected fleshy berries are left in heaps for about 2-4 days in shade in order to soften and rot.
- Pulp is then removed and air dried.
- Not necessary.
- Nursery bag saplings
- Two year old seedlings are planted in pits of 30 cm x 30 cm x 30 cm size filled with soil and FYM 10 kg/pit at a spacing of 6 m either way. Apply 50 g/pit Azospirillum before planting.
- Provide shade for seedlings.
- Mulch the basins with dried leaves.
- Weed the basins as and when necessary.
- Banana can be grown to provide shade during the initial establishment. Small temporary pandals may be provided for partial shade during initial establishment.
- Irrigation should be given during summer months.
- Applying 8 litres of water either through drip or through basin during the months of January - May is beneficial.
"Watering is given during summer months twice a week. "Recommended Harvest :
- Bearing starts from sixth year onwards.
- The flower buds should be harvested when they are fully mature but before opening.
- The buds are harvested as clusters and separated and dried in the sun for five to seven days.
- 2 - 3 kg dried buds/tree.
- Cinnamon bark oil is used in meat and fast-food seasoning, sauces and pickles, baked goods, confectionery and cola-type drinks.
- The leaf oil is also used as a flavoring agent
- The bark is used to enhance the flavor of coffee.
- Cinnamon bark oil is employed in dental and pharmaceutical preparations.
Rs.150/KgCarbon stock :