- Banyan tree is an evergreen or deciduous tree, irregularly-shaped, with wide-spreading branches and without aerial roots from the branches
- Bark is grey with brownish specks, smooth, exfoliating in irregular rounded flakes.
- Leaves alternate, spirally arranged and dark green leaves.
- Native to Indonesia ,widely spread throughout India
- Drought resistant and light demander.
- Naturally regenerates by seeds and root suckers.
- Propagated by seeds and vegetative cuttings.
- Fruits are collected and depulped and squeezed in water.
- The floating seeds are collected and dried on blotting paper in shade.
- The dried seeds are stored in a clean polybag.
- Cold water treatment for 24 hours.
- Seeds are broad casted in the mother bed mixed with sand and red earth.
- watering is done as on when required
- germination starts in about 2 weeks.
- Tow leaf stage individual seedlings could be pricked out into a polybag Shade was provided for at least 1 weak after each transplanting. Seedlings were susceptible to over-watering until the final transplant.
- Planting out is carried out during July in 30 cm3 pits,
- Under dry conditions, pit size of 60 cm3 with an interval 5 to 10 m Planting should be carried out after the commencement of monsoon.
- Regular weeding and soil working should be taken care.
For proper growth and survival it is necessary to give one or two waterings after planting. This is specifically required in arid regions. Irrigation after planting is not a prerequisite in areas having sufficient soil moisture and precipitation. Higher survival rate and better rate of growth is reported when soil and water conservation measures are also adopted.Recommended Harvest :
Rotation:15 yearsYield :
Rotation:15 yearsMajor uses :
- Its leaves are lopped as fodder for elephants, camels, goats and cattle; having about 10-14% crude protein.
- Silage prepared from the tree is palatable and digestible.
- It is moderately durable under cover and quite durable under water.
- It is little used but is occasionally converted into packing cases, cheap boarding, yokes, spoons and bowls.
Tannin or dyestuff: Its bark is used in tanning.Carbon stock :