- It is a medium to large sized deciduous tree.
- Bark is thin smooth, greenish or pale yellow in color.
- Leaves alternate long dark green in color.
- Fruit small drupe yellowish brown in color with wedge shaped seed.
- It is native to India and abundant in south eastern part of Tamil Nadu.
- Light demander, drought resistant and Coppice well.
- Natural regeneration of occurs through seed and coppice.
- Propagated by Nursery raised seedlings
- Ripe fruit are collected from December and dried in sun
- Seeds are released on drying from the pods and stored
- Seed rate 1 lakh /Kg.
- Seeds are viable for 8 months.
- Germination capacity is 0.5 to 5%
- Cold water treatment for 48 hours.
- The seeds are broadcasted on the raise mother bed in May-June.
- Beds are covered with thin layer of paddy straw and watered regularly.
- Germination starts within seven days.
- As the seedlings are sensitive to drought regular watering is essential
- Two leaf stage seedlings are pricked out in poly bag.
Nursery Raised seedlings:
- Pitting size 30 cm3 or 45 cm3
- Spacing adopted : 3 m x 3 m and 5 m x 5 m
- Regular weeding and soil working are essential in young plantation.
For proper growth and survival it is necessary to give one or two waterings after planting. This is specifically required in arid regions. Irrigation after planting is not a prerequisite in areas having sufficient soil moisture and precipitation. Higher survival rate and better rate of growth is reported when soil and water conservation measures are also adopted.Recommended Harvest :
- 10-25 years
The tree is a good survivor on eroded land. It is used in river bank stabilization. The tree contributes to soil nutrient cycling, exhibiting high leaf-litter decomposition rates.Major uses :
- Timber is used for making furniture.
- Agricultural implements and house constructions.
- Leaves are used for rearing taser silk worm.
Fodder: Tussar silkworms are fed on its foliage which is also used as fodder for cattle and buffaloes. A. latifolia leaves contain up to 45% digestible nutrient. Fuel: A. latifolia yields good charcoal and firewood with an energy value of 17 600-20 500 kJ/kg.Market details :
- Approximately Rs.3700 to Rs.4000/ton.