- Safeguard yourself financially against non-preventable natural risks like natural disasters/calamities, insect, pests & diseases and adverse weather conditions.
- Take benefit of appropriate crop insurance scheme applicable in your area. National Crop Insurance Programme (NCIP) with three components namely Modified National Agricultural Insurance Scheme (MNAIS), Weather Based Crop Insurance Scheme (WBCIS) and Coconut Palm Insurance Scheme (CPIS) are being implemented in the country.
- Getting yourself covered under MNAIS/WBCIS is compulsory, if you avail crop loan for notified crops. Coverage is voluntary for non-loanee farmers. Contact nearest branch of bank/crop insurance company for availing the benefits under the Crop Insurance Schemes
· Actuarial Premium rate for notified crops subject to maximum premium upto 11% & 9% for food & oilseeds crops of Kharif and Rabi seasons, respectively. For annual commercial/ horticultural crops, it is capped at 13%.
·Subsidy upto 75% of premium is provided to all types of farmers depending on the slab of premium.
a. Upto 2% - Nil,
b. More than 2 – 5% : 40% subject to minimum net premium of 2%,
c. More than 5 – 10% : 50% subject to minimum net premium of 3%,
d. More than 10 – 15% : 60% subject to minimum net premium of 5%,
e. More than 15% : 75% subject to minimum net premium of 6 %
· If the sowing is not done due to adverse weather/climate, claims/indemnity upto 25% of sum insured will be paid for prevented sowing/planting risk.
· When the crop yield is less than the gu aranteed yield of notified crops, the indemnity payment equal to shortfall in yield is payable to all insured farmers in the notified areas.
· However, on-account advance payment, up to 25% of likely claims will be paid as immediate relief in those notified areas where yield losses are atleast 50% of Threshold Yield (TY). Besides, post harvest (upto 2 weeks) losses due to cyclone are also covered. Losses due to localized risks of hailstorm and landslide are assessed on individual basis and claims to affected insured farmers are paid accordingly. 2 Weather Based Crop Insurance
Scheme (WBCIS) · Insurance protection for notified food crops, oilseeds and horticultural /commercial crops
· Actuarial Premium rate for notified crops, subject to maximum premium upto 10% & 8% for food & oilseeds crops of Kharif and Rabi seasons, respectively and 12% for annual commercial/horticultural crops. It is capped at 12%.
a. Upto 2% - Nil subsidy,
b. More than 2 to 5% - 25% subsidy subject to minimum net premium of 2%,
c. More than 5 to 8% - 40% subsidy subject to minimum net premium of 3.75%,
d. More than 8% - 50% subsidy subject to minimum net premium of 4.8% and maximum net premium of 6% payable by farmers.·
When the Weather indices (rainfall/temperature/relative humidity/wind speed etc) differ (less/ higher) from the Guaranteed Weather Index of notified crops, the indemnity payment equal to deviation/shortfall is payable to all insured farmers of notified crops in notified area. 3 Coconut Palm Insurance Scheme (CPIS) · Insurance protection for Coconut Palm growers.
· Premium rate per palm ranges from Rs.9.00 (in the age group of 4 to 15 years) to
Rs 14.00 (in the age group of 16 to 60 years).
· 50-75% subsidy of premium is provided to all types of farmers.
· When the Palm trees are damaged, the indemnity payment equal to sum insured/ damage is payable to the insured farmers in notified areas. Whom to Contact ?
Nearest branch of Bank/Empanelled General Insurance Companies, Credit & Cooperative Society and District Agriculture Officer/ Block Development Officer may be contacted.